Couch to 5K – My Thoughts (Part One)

As someone who would never describe herself as “sporty” (or particularly interested in team sports or hitting the gym for that matter) the idea that I could take up running was a bit out there.

Could I run to catch a bus? Sure. Though I’d likely be out of breath for minutes afterward.

The only time running made any kind of sense to me was in some of my dreams (which I have touched upon in this post).

In my dreams I could run like a gazelle, effortless and graceful. The pavement and my surroundings a blur as I raced up hills and down long, deserted country roads.

At some point I came across the Couch to 5K (C25K) program and thought it looked doable for me. Or at least it was worth trying out.

dothething_quote

The one I decided on is offered at NHS Choices where you can download the weekly programs and get a description of how each week is set up.

It’s a nine week program that’s specifically geared towards beginner runners and while it is made for those of us who aren’t already hitting the pavement it’s always advisable to check with your doctor before starting.

With Couch to 5K the goal is to run three times a week, gradually building up your endurance so that eventually you’ll be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping, or run a 5K.

And, having completed the program, can I run for 30 minutes without stopping? Yes I can and more.

Can I run a 5K? Yup, though it takes me a bit longer than 30 minutes to do so.

ifyourun_quote

Is it easy? God no. At least it wasn’t for me. There were times I was huffing and puffing and wondering if my legs would just give out. (They did not). But I think the most difficult bit is more mental than physical. So often we tell ourselves we “can’t” before we’ve even tried. Luckily I have my husband to be my cheerleader when I doubt myself and slowly I got over thinking I couldn’t and started to think “but what if I can?“.

Day One of Week One for me was on August 10th of 2016.

Since then I’ve had over 75 runs with a short break over Christmas and into New Years and it has gotten easier to an extent. I no longer doubt I can finish a run before I’ve even started and I run for longer and at a faster pace. I’ve varied the routes I take depending on how long I want to run for, the weather and how I’m feeling that particular day.

Now I even enjoy running in the rain. Which is just…. bizarre…..

So yeah, the program did work though I did go off piste a bit near the end. More on that in Part Two coming up soon.

Please drop me a comment if you’re doing C25K now or have graduated, would love to hear how it was for you and where you are now in your running journey.

12 thoughts on “Couch to 5K – My Thoughts (Part One)

1. overthinker89 says:

I’ve just completed W2D2 of the Fitness 22 5k Runner App.

I’ve started running to try and focus my over-active mind. As a complete non-runner I’m finding it difficult as the running periods increase. Having said that, I have no time to dwell on my thoughts while trying desperately to regulate my breathing. Onwards and upwards!

Liked by 1 person

• Life n' Whatnot says:

Great to hear from another newbie runner!

I’ve found trying to get my breathing under control to be one of the hardest bits. I still hear myself panting and puffing and hope I don’t startle people I pass on the trails as I come up behind them.

Keep it up and check back in, looking forward to hear how you get along. 🙂

2. Corrina says:

I really enjoyed this post – thanks for sharing it! I am also doing the Couch to 5k programme, albeit the Fitness 22 eight week version. I started off panting and wheezing and doubting whether I could even run for two minutes non-stop. I hit the halfway point last Friday, completing my third run of week four. It was a breakthrough – I found that not only was I running for five whole minutes non-stop but I was really enjoying it too. Sadly, I also picked up a calf strain during this run and so have been resting since. Which is maddeningly frustrating because I just want to get back out there and not lose any progress! But I’m being sensible and waiting for it to heal……still sucks though! 😉

Liked by 1 person

3. Katherine Brown says:

I am in week 4 day 1 and am loving it, which is something I never thought I’d say 🙂

I have been lucky that I haven’t had to run in the rain yet. Hopefully I will enjoy that too. Living in Manchester it would be useful!

Liked by 2 people

4. Michelle's Life says:

Well done on completing it -and continuing! Such a good thing! I’ve ran for about ten years now, started before C25K’s were invented! But I had an op a couple of years ago and used the C25k to get back to my running & loved it! Loved the structure, loved the progression! And I love running in the rain too! I’m not running at the moment, but will definitely use this again!

Liked by 1 person

5. CeeJayKay says:

Fab news! I’m doing it for the second time round after a year off… mostly to make sure I ease back into running without getting injured… so far so good… it’s THE BEST program ever!!!!

Well done you!!!

I’m on W5 now and excited! I can’t wait to be back thinking 15km was easy!!!! That’s my goal for 2017!

Liked by 1 person